Wine Folly USA: California Wine Map Poster Print (18' x 24') 4.5 out of 5 stars 6. Get it as soon as Tue, Dec 1. Champagne Boxed Book & Map Set. Wine Folly Spain Wine Map from Other - This durable, water and tear resistant polyart high density paper map 12' x 16' is perfect framed or on it's own. This map highlights Spain: A highly diverse c. Mar 26, 2021 - wine regions, major wine regions, wine maps, french wine, italian wine, portuguese wine, german wine, austrian wine, australian wine, american wine. The complete wine map collection. Additional 10% off already bundled price. Explore the major wine producing regions of the world. The complete map set includes all 24 of our maps from the major winemaking countries and prominent sub-regions of the world. Durable, water and tear resistant polyart high density paper. Size: 12' x 16'. Wine Folly; Champagne Map; Champagne Map. Login for Price. Login for Price. Product Description. This must-have map provides plenty of context for exploring the Champagne region and its many styles of wine, including its eponymous bubbly. Conveniently color coded by region, you'll be a Champagne pro with this colorful map.
A few years back, I talked about some of Wine Folly’s content that they were creating, and how freaking awesome it was. Since then, Wine Folly has continued their progress on conquering the wine world, one really fancy infographic at a time. When it comes to reading about wine visually, Madeline Puckette and her team do a fantastic job of detailing body, acidity, fruit, tannin, alcohol, and flavors, and now, they’ve released a book. There’s no shortage of wine books from The Wine Bible to Wine for Dummies, all experience levels of book are out there. So where does Wine Folly: The Essential Guide To Wine fall on the spectrum?
How The Book Works:
The Wine Folly: The Essential Guide To Wine tries to keep things relatively simple, and breaks down into 3 sections:
- Fundamentals – Everything you need to know from tasting to glassware to storage
- Styles of Wine – The major varietals, how they breakdown into 5 key components, major flavors, and differences in regionality
- Wine Regions – Size, breakdowns of sub-regions, and notable wines
Despite the simple breakdown, Wine Folly: The Essential Guide To Wine manages to pack a significant amount of knowledge into a mere 200+ pages, including giving folks the information they need to start tasting wine, an idea of what the grape they’re tasting should taste like, and how the regions breakdown on a map.
What Works Well:
- Wine Folly: The Essential Guide To Wine is incredibly visual, want to know about Cabernet Sauvignon, it’s all summed up in two pages. Ditto for maps of wine regions.
- 55 Different Varietals and Styles are covered – Including Champagne, Rosé, and Dessert Wines. The list is extensive enough to the cover the vast majority of bottles you’ll run into starting your wine journey.
- All major regions represented, perhaps with the best breakdown of maps for someone just starting out.
- Warm – Cool Climate / Vintage is an incredibly useful, if under utilized visual scale that will help most people new to wine.
- There is a lack of depth for folks having more than a basic wine knowledge, exemplified by the fact that most of the discussions of subregions are only a sentence or two.
- The right side of the page is a little inconsistent from page to page in the section covering styles of wine. The fun facts covered vary in usefulness, possibly due to the intermingling of of styles and grapes. Some flipping back and forth between style and region may be required for complex items like Bordeaux blends.
- The fundamentals section is better than most print only books for tasting and faults, and but gets in trouble around glassware and food pairings.
- Glassware ends up being slightly confusing due to the proliferation of glasses, and for those of that go glass shopping, the section adds more complexity than clarity, especially for a beginner.
- Food pairings is a great idea of layout, but with 9 styles of wine, the colors become hard to distinguish, and the lines hard to follow. More space would help to be able to see the different areas lines are drawn to.
Tuscany Wine Map Wine Folly
Put It On Your Shelf?
Wine Folly: The Essential Guide To Wine is a must own for beginners, and a handy reference for experts and enthusiasts alike. Overall, this is by far one of the best books you could buy if you’re starting in wine thanks to the easy visualizations and simple language. Yes, some of the fundamentals are a bit hard to follow, but they’re better than a lot of the pure text based books available.
Wine Folly Champagne Maps
Verdict: Buy for you and/or Gift to Wine Lovers in your life