This is part of our Drupal Installation Guide.
The easiest way to create a Drupal 9 website on Cloud Platform is to use Acquia’s installer in a new environment following the instructions on the Installing a Drupal distribution documentation page. Use Composer to deploy to Cloud Platform (Recommended). You may use Composer to create a new Drupal 9. How to download and install Drupal 9 locally on Windows 10 Get Managed Blazing Fast Cloud Hosting TrailDrupal Theme Development.
- Learn how to install Drupal 8 on Windows in a course design for Drupal 8 beginners. Subscribe for more free tutorials buy NEXT LEVEL C.
- Step 1: Get the Code. Install the files you need to run Drupal. Step 2: Install dependencies with composer. Step 3: Create a database. Step 4: Configure your installation. Step 5: Run the installer.
- If currently have Drupal installed and wish to upgrade, then use the post belo: Upgrading Drupal. This post below shows students and new users how to upgrade an existing Drupal sites to a newer version. This post was written for previous version, but also applies to Drupal 9.
Setting up an environment for developing with Drupal 9 in Windows can be a challenge. We recommend two options for those who need access to the codebase (required for Theme and Module Development trainings).
Jump to a Drupal 9 Installation Method (Windows Only):
Method 1: AMPPS
Method 2: Docksal/Lando
Method 1: AMPPS
This method is simpler to install, and has little base requirements. If you already have Acquia Dev Desktop, make sure you turn it off before installing AMPPS.
1. Download and run the installer: http://www.ampps.com/downloads
Drupal 9 Features
2. Installation doesn't require any changes to default options. You may choose to install in the root folder (i.e. c:Ampps) so it's easier to navigate in command-line.
3. When finished, you can go ahead and add a new App of type Drupal. Make sure you select 9 (should be the default version). You can fill in user credentials and click to install. Verify you have a working Drupal 9 site.
Setting up command line utilities with AMPPS
Although AMPPS is easy to install and setup a Drupal codebase, it doesn't come with out-of-the-box command line utilities. But we can easily add them:
1. Open Start Menu and type 'Environment.' You should see an entry for editing System Environment variables.
2. Click on Environment Variables. Find a variable under 'User variables for [username]' called 'Path' and click 'Edit...'
3. Under the next screen, add this line on your Path variable (if you installed Ampps in a different folder, change this to the right one): 'C:Program FilesAmppsphp'.
4. This step will allow you to run any binaries present in that folder, the most important being 'php'. Now open a new CMD prompt and type the following to install Composer.
5. Test this by running 'composer' command, which should give you Composer's help page.
6. Next, type the following commands in the same prompt, to install Drush Launcher:
7. You can test by running 'drush' command, which should return a message saying Drush Launcher didn't find a Drupal installation. Drush needs to be installed using composer in each project:
8. Run 'drush status' and confirm it is working. You should have a fully functional Development Environment with Drupal 9.
Make sure you have a good code editor such as Notepad++, Atom, or Visual Studio Code (all free to use).
Method 2: Docksal/Lando
Docksal and Lando are two similar utilities that are more difficult to install but provide a more stable and flexible environment. They operate on top of a virtualized Linux container, powered by Docker. You must have virtualization enabled in the BIOS and WSL activated on your Windows, hence this method is considered more advanced, but once you set it up you have a better environment for working in projects.
1. Install Docker Desktop for Windows: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/install/
2. Install Lando or Docksal.
Note: Docksal has an alternative installation method using VirtualBox instead of Docker, which you can read about in the link above.
Note 2: Another popular solution for Windows you can read about and try is DrupalVM: https://www.drupalvm.com/ (Advanced)
After almost 5 years in development, Drupal 9 is finally released. This post shows students and new users how to install or upgrade on Ubuntu 20.04 18.04.
If you’re reading this, then you may know a thing or two about Drupal. For those who don’ t know, Drupal, a free and open source content management system built with PHP is easy to install and manage.
You can use Drupal to run your content websites and build amazing digital experiences with little efforts.
Drupal 9 comes with boatloads of changes, including database driver and handling improvements, migration systems improvements, changes to theme APIs and many more.
For more about Drupal 9, please visit its homepage.
When you’re ready to install upgrade Drupal, follow the guides below:
For those who want to install Drupal on a new server, the post below is a great place to start. Simply click the link and follow the steps in the guide to install Drupal.
If currently have Drupal installed and wish to upgrade, then use the post belo:
Drupal 9 Modules
This post below shows students and new users how to upgrade an existing Drupal sites to a newer version.
This post was written for previous version, but also applies to Drupal 9.
That should do it for this post.
You can also reference this site to help with upgrading to Drupal 9.
This post showed you how to install or upgrade Drupal CMS. If you find any error above, please use the comment form below to report it.